Automatic Diagnosis of Atherosclerosis for Cerebrovascular Accident Prevention
This project developed a method to aid in the diagnosis of atherosclerosis through ultrasound imaging analysis.
- CCA detection – the CCA is located based on the whereabouts of the lumen centerline.
- Allows to select the region of interest for further analysis.
- Intima-media region segmentation – the interfaces between the CCA wall layers (lumen-intima and intima-media) are segmented based on edge detection and dynamic programming optimization.
- Allows to measure intima-media thickness (IMT), and degree of stenosis.
- Plaque segmentation – the plaque limits are located on the basis of medical consensus criteria, using the previously segmented intima-media regions
- Allows to measure plaque burden
- Allows further processing to evaluate plaque vulnerability and stroke risk
- Region normalization – the intensity of the plaque regions are normalized by locating reference media and lumen points.
- Improve the repeatability of intensity-based markers characterizing plaque contents.